Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 30: Making plans...

Today is Day 30. Today you are officially a Dallas resident. No wonder you're trying so hard to get out of that bed!

Yesterday on the drive back to Denver, I looked out over the expanse of Texas. Its little towns with their mixture of crumbling and hanging-on and just-built buildings. The live oaks and the cottonwoods growing where they can and please, and the poplars and junipers growing in obedient lines around homesteads. The ever-present signs of oil activity and the new signs of natural gas pursuits....

From Fort Worth to Texline, I thought of you. And our road trips in Texas together. Some as a family, some with an extended family and some music equipment, some just you and me. The Big Thicket, the Davis Mountains and the Red River. Austin, Fort Davis, Mineral Wells, San Antonio, Latch, and Corpus Christi. To festivals, get-togethers, vacataions, hunts, and holiday visits. Time in any of your truck cabs was magic time. Minivans and cars were okay, too, I guess. Together was together, but all of us sitting next to one another in the truck cabs... didn't really get much better.

We crossed into Clayton, New Mexico, and I still had memories to visit with you, whether they came from our '84 adventures through West Texas, New Mexico and Colorado (when Asia was just a growing bean inside a belly), or our more recent drive last Thanksgiving.

And I couldn't help but start making plans. Places to see, drives to take. Can't wait to bounce them around with you.

Sending you thoughts of strength and endurance as you go headfirst into this next phase, getting pinched between the awareness of your situation and the annoyances of it. I cannot imagine how difficult you'll find this, but I know you can do it. You'll have Dixie and Asia and Forrest and Jeff, your friends and your wonderful nurses and doctors to help you through. And though I wish I could be there, too, I know you're in good hands. I'll be back at the end of the month and until then, I will focus on an image of you sitting in Dixie's living room and NOT of you laying in that bed.

2 comments:

glassman said...

I just found out about Mikes accident late yesterday. I know Mike as TEX from stock blogs. Quite a few of us have been wondering where he misplaced himself. Now that i know? I'm wondering how much and how to share with the rest of the people at his blogsite that have been missing him.

Mike (TEX) and i (glassman) are active at allstocks

http://www.allstocks.com/stockmessageboard/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Could you please come to the site to let everyone know about the situation? Mike has been a moderator for us for a few years now, and he is missed.

GerRee said...

I'm so glad to hear from one of you from the stock boards. I knew he was active on them, but his computers were caught up in the inferno and we've gotten nowhere with being able to get into his email to let other contacts know.

I'm trying to register for your board but I'm having trouble. I've emailed the webmaster for allstocks.com and hopefully, I'll get some resolution.

Thanks again for reaching out, and I hope he'll be able to post to your online community again real soon.