Sunday, August 24, 2008

Happy to be alive and getting better little by little

It was such a joy to bring Michael home with me; I thought the next time there were comments to be posted from here, it would be Mike who posted them. There are some things he is not quite ready for yet, but they will come. Recovery is multi-faceted. There is the physiological aspect and the emotional aspect of this enigmatic puzzle. He feels whole, but this has been a time of discovery for him.

He is amazed with each new revelation of family or friends who have uplifted him during this journey. A few days ago, we learned of another group of folks that have been part of the kaleidoscope of caring. It seems the protective shield was so widespread and strong, if his spirit tried to leave us, it must have rebounded right back to us during those awe full weeks.
Blessings to all.


Status:
A few blisters keep appearing here and there on his back and left arm. At his follow up appointment last week, the doctors told us we can expect that for another two months—new skin is very thin. His left hand gets blistered or cut with the least bump. He says it's the only place that looks "melty". Itching is his biggest aggravation.

We are still putting a clear patch over the stoma where the trach was. The doctor dotted a flap of skin with silver nitrate to adjust cell growth. We are expecting it to close completely some time in the next week or so.

His gait is improving. About a week ago, he gained a second gear. I think I’ve even noticed a new ability to accelerate within the last couple days. Getting in and out of chairs is still a bit awkward. Now he can even pull his shirt over his head without help.

He drinks tea with his breakfast rather than coffee to help break one of the rituals that bring the song of the cigarette siren. So far smoking has crossed his mind, but the thought seems to have stopped with that. (As for me, that thought just brings visions of his wounded lungs any time I consider such a thing for him.) Coughing up gunk may be with him for weeks to come.

Although, he isn’t continuously grazing as he did the first week or so, he is still delighted with the flavor of everything. If I go the grocery store alone I’d better have a good excuse. He likes to go with me because they have electric carts and he likes to look at all the food. I really think it's that he has an excuse to play Speed Racer. And, my or my, has he drunk all kinds of brewed, sweet, unsweet, honeyed, and bottled tea as well as all kinds of juice and soda.

He tells anyone who asks, “I’m glad to be here. If it weren’t for the firemen, the people at Parkland Burn Unit, and the prayers of hosts of people, I wouldn’t be here.”

No comments: