Monday, September 1, 2008

The cat came back...

Just a little photographic evidence that we're not imagining things. Dad's truly up and at 'em. Despite the fact that he calls himself "Two-Tone Man," you can see that he looks damn good. His left hand around my shoulder is the "meltiest" part of him. And look how great it looks! You can't see his arm, shoulders, or back, but believe me, even though they show you the breadth of his burns, to see them now, you cannot guess at their inital depth. Skin is an amazing organ. Have I mentioned lately how amazed I am at the human body? Well, I am.

This was taken last night, when Asia and Dad came by Mom's (Liz's) to pick me up so we could go out to dinner. (Forrest is taking a little Labor Day weekend trip down to the Valley.) We talked about a bunch of little stuff. Chit-chatted. We didn't talk much about any of the "fire business." There was a little, but not much. I think we'll be dealing with the fallout for months to come, but it's nice to see that already, we're able to have conversations about things beyond it.

I flew in from Denver on Friday, and today, I leave for Paris with Mom for the week. There was a time when I couldn't imagine this trip (planned since March) actually happening. But here I go! With Dad looking as good as you can see here, I am so excited to head across the pond and get some more perspective on this great big world we live in. I'll tell you what, though. I will be ready to stay in Denver for a little while after this. And Lee's looking forward to having his wife stay put for a while, too. He's been so, so wonderful through all of this.

Funny that Dad's accident is sort of book-ended by travel abroad -- first Forrest's trip to Italy, and now mine to France and soon, Dixie and Byron will take a trip of their own to Nova Scotia. You'd think we were some kind of jet-setting family, which may be true for some of us, but at thirty-two, this is my very first time off the continent.

Let's see what we can see....

No comments: