Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Father Responds

Oh…GerReasy. What have you done?

To answer my own question, you have probably pioneered a new genre, a specialty niche: the Medical Progress blog. Obviously such a record is valuable for the patient (so much is here I would never know about otherwise) but also so helpful--and easy--for friends and family who want to follow along.

Leave it to you to devise something so efficiently therapeutic…it’s amazing how you get so much done, yet remain spiritually grounded. Most “efficiency mavens” turn into automatons. I remember one from the hospital; she was one of the respiratory techs and one of the very few in BICU who was less than wonderful. At least as I recall…Maybe the rest of you guys, after being there hours and hours, ran into some stinkers--but I don’t remember them. Anyway, this lady was always lobbying for me to be restrained. I picked up on it the morning after one of my lucid nightmares, that one in which I “misplaced” about a thousand years of time. Later, one of my nurses explained this tech’s behavior and her penchant for restraining patients who rearrange their IVs or breathing tubs--no matter the reason…

Apparently she takes such behavior personally. That is, her displeasure wasn’t directed at me, personally. Instead, I believe, she resents any patient-related intrusion into *her* schedule. In other words, the point is that SHE makes her QUOTA of x-amount of procedures, rather than that x-amount of patients improve by y-amount of progress.

One time, in an elevator on campus, I heard a professor say, “Man, this would be a great life if it weren’t for all these damn students.”

Not you, though. No, dear heart…somehow you remain focused, whether working odd hours so you can keep up with hospital issues; or planning a theater event to honor a colleague; or juggling personal needs with rehearsal schedules…You’ve really managed to balance high-octane personal power with a strong-hearted, self-directed sense of ethics.

And I could not be more proud.

Thank you for this gift and all your hard work on my behalf.

Love,

Dad

6 comments:

Unknown said...

psssst... Hinshaw, if you wanna hear what you missed of our on-air radio hijinks, hit goodshow.net.

I think you might hear some tunes and arguably witty banter that'll lift your spirits.

Then, when you're ready, give me a holler, maybe even share the airwaves with us a while.

Love,

Tom U.

Mike said...

Tom,

Funny you should pop up--I was looking up your site only the other night. Any specific episodes I should check?

Please e-mail me so I'll have your addy.

Bless you,
mikey

Anonymous said...

Well said about the medical patient record!!!.It helps me lot to know about it from this site...Thanks for sharing

Katherine E. said...

Mike, just want you to know that you've been in my prayers. Roy let me know what happened very quickly.

Take care--I hope your recovery continues apace!!!! :-)
Katy (Roy's sister)

Unknown said...

Heh... you know, each broadcast of TGS is like a child to me, or somethin'.

Might want to consider scanning the playlists, see if anything peaks or confounds your interest; then, click on the corresponding link to the MP3s for streaming or downloads.

btw, did you ever find Tad? Or he did he find you? I've got a call out to Billy at Lola's.

Anonymous said...

mike,

i am so glad that you are doing so well. i did lots of praying for you, asia and the rest of your family.

kepp up the good work!

-Amy (Call) Womack