Saturday, September 20, 2008

Cheers for being blister free

I’m so happy to see that you have waded your way through the mud of emotions, reactions, and maneuvers your body was relearning to feel like posting on the blog, Mike. I have to respond that most, if not all, of the medical folks in ICU were not only wonderful but exceptional. Not only that, most with whom I dealt including several of the respiratory therapists, kept telling us how cooperative you were and that they enjoyed working with you to help you recover. We often heard, "He's a good guy." During the last week or two of your hospital stay, several people enjoyed trading little jokes with you. They really got a kick out of your sense of humor.

Byron and I have just returned from a trip into Quebec City, across part of New Brunswick by train, then into Nova Scotia. Wow, what a treat! Although we had watched him make a lot of improvement, it was still difficult to tell Michael, "See ya in two weeks." Thanks to Robin we knew Mike was in good hands. Thanks, “Sis”.

It was wonderful to find you blister free and looking fantastic upon our return, brother. There was only one blister on your shoulder when we left. I was happy to learn that no more had bubbled up after that, and that the skin on your hand has become a little smoother. I keep seeing you back up to a door jamb to do your imitation of a bear scratching his back so it seems the itching will be part of life.

3 comments:

GerRee said...

That back-scratching on the door jamb that Dixie mentions always makes me cringe. I keep imagining your thin skin getting perforated again, but I'm sure it's just excruciating to itch all the time.

Is it slacking off at all these days, Daddio? Also, how are the leg muscles doing?

Mike said...

just remember in my normal state I love to rub up against a gnarly oak. So the corner of a molded piece of trim is much more like fingertips than it is like fingernails.

Itching is still a bother, although not nearly so maddening as it was while at Dixie's and Robin's. It would be a good topic for some sort of diet/medical/healing Ph.D paper: I'm sure the topical unguents are pertinent, but also sleep cycles and specific nutrition of the skin.

Leg Muscles? calf muscles are coming back nicely. Thighs? Not so much. But I'm used to that--from ACL surgery. Will require specific exercise for thigh re-conditioning...

Robins clan member in Fort Worth said...

It's nice that the updates continue. Thanks for keeping us all involved and motivated by your progress.

Love to all,
Robin